When WordPress made its debut in 2003, its initial features were quite basic, primarily geared toward setting up simple blogs. Fast forward to today, this free, open-source software has evolved into arguably the most potent tool on the internet for creating fully functional and dynamic websites, boasting compatibility with over 70,000 plugins.
Gutenberg blocks, a game-changing addition introduced in WordPress 5.0, stand as perhaps the most transformative innovation since the platform’s inception. They provide a user-friendly library of content blocks for web designers and developers.
But what sets Gutenberg blocks apart? In essence, they simplify the process of designing your website. Each piece of content is placed within its individual block, enabling customisation of block options and flexible arrangement. You can effortlessly rearrange blocks, adjust their size and alignment, and more.
Nevertheless, the default set of blocks offered by WordPress is merely the starting point. With growing support, an entire array of Gutenberg block plugins for WordPress is now emerging.
So, this WordPress Wednesday delves into some noteworthy WordPress Gutenberg block plugins, each of which provides a library or suite of blocks designed to enhance the functionality and user-friendliness of the block editor.
PostX is a robust website builder for Gutenberg, offering a plethora of customisable features. It serves as a dynamic blog creator, offering a diverse range of pre-designed blocks that are perfect for crafting news, magazine, culinary, travel, and various other types of blogs.
The platform provides a versatile site builder equipped with an extensive collection of templates for your blog’s different pages. Tailoring these templates to your preferences is a breeze, requiring just a few simple clicks.
Each template is essentially a compilation of blocks, granting you the flexibility to make adjustments and provide the highest-quality user experience.
Advantages of PostX:
- Swift and lightweight, optimised for top-notch performance.
- Over 250 blog patterns available for one-click import.
- More than 40 blocks to construct dynamic blog sections.
- Access to 75+ pre-made templates for use with the builder.
- Supports SEO addons for post optimisation.
Disadvantages of PostX:
- The free version offers a limited selection of templates.
Pricing for PostX:
PostX is priced between $49 and $179 per year, with the cost depending on the number of site licenses you require.
Qubely is a Gutenberg block plugin that offers a premium collection of 24 highly customisable blocks for your block editor. Additionally, it provides over 150 pre-designed sections and a contemporary layout, empowering you to craft imaginative and stunning page layouts.
With the plugin’s advanced features, you have the freedom to tailor your designs, whether they’re simple or intricate. Qubely facilitates quick creation, thanks to its row-column structure that permits up to six columns in a single row.
Advantages of Qubely:
- User-friendly interface.
- A versatile set of 24 custom blocks.
- Access to 150+ pre-made section designs (Pro version exclusive).
- Complete design customisability.
- Mobile responsiveness.
Drawbacks of Qubely:
- Priority support is exclusively available for Pro version users.
Pricing for Qubely:
Qubely offers a free version, while the Pro version starts at $39 per year for a single site.
Attire Blocks is a straightforward yet potent Gutenberg block plugin, designed to streamline the creation of pages and posts within the block editor. Moreover, Attire Blocks offers an assortment of exquisitely crafted page layouts, enhancing the visual appeal of your website.
Among its block offerings, you’ll find a range of elements such as features, accordion, buttons, post grid, post carousel, call-to-action, icons, and more. Additionally, it incorporates a WooCommerce products categories block to showcase your store’s merchandise.
Advantages of Attire Blocks:
- Employs efficient code for lightweight performance.
- Includes 18 custom blocks to enhance your content.
- Allows for easy and flexible customisations.
- Ensures responsive design.
Drawbacks of Attire Blocks:
- Access to dedicated support requires a subscription plan.
Pricing for Attire Blocks:
Attire Blocks offers a free version and also provides a premium edition with extra features and pre-built content.
Enhance the functionality of the Gutenberg block editor with Premium Blocks, an extension that introduces ten extra blocks. Premium Blocks for Gutenberg empowers you to fashion distinctive and captivating websites utilising the latest editor.
These blocks are engineered for optimal performance and come equipped with RTL (Right-to-Left) support. You also have the flexibility to activate or deactivate specific blocks to suit your website’s needs.
Advantages of Premium Blocks:
- Optimised for high-performance results.
- Allows the enabling or disabling of blocks tailored to your website’s specific demands.
- RTL and translation support ensure broad accessibility.
- Compatibility extends to any WordPress theme prepared for Gutenberg.
Drawbacks of Premium Blocks:
- The selection of available blocks is somewhat limited.
Pricing for Premium Blocks:
Premium Blocks can be obtained as a free download.
Kioken Blocks is an exceptional assortment of Gutenberg blocks, enabling the rapid creation of aesthetically pleasing and responsive websites within minutes. This plugin also provides valuable tools, including custom typography, margin spacing, inline text color formatting, and more.
In addition to its remarkable blocks, Kioken Blocks presents an array of pre-designed templates that expedite the development of striking web pages.
Advantages of Kioken Blocks:
- A rich collection of 17 Gutenberg blocks.
- Access to over 15 templates (with the Pro version offering an additional 200+).
- A vast selection of 7500+ icons.
- Complete customisability for your design needs.
- Ensures a responsive web presence.
Drawbacks of Kioken Blocks:
- Kioken Blocks has not received recent updates.
Pricing for Kioken Blocks:
Kioken Blocks is available for free and can be easily downloaded from the WordPress repository.
6. Lazy Blocks
Lazy Blocks offers a unique approach compared to the options discussed thus far. It grants you the ability to visually design custom blocks for the Gutenberg editor. With Lazy Blocks, you can incorporate controls into your blocks, generate block output through HTML or PHP code, and even devise custom meta fields.
Furthermore, it empowers you to fashion post templates that feature predefined blocks.
Advantages of Lazy Blocks:
- Streamlined creation of customised blocks.
- Provides over 20 controls for block customisation.
- Developer-friendly, catering to advanced users.
- Allows the creation of custom templates for posts and pages.
- Abundant documentation for assistance.
Drawbacks of Lazy Blocks:
- Lazy Blocks deviates from the typical Gutenberg Block plugin, necessitating a different approach to install and use the blocks.
Pricing for Lazy Blocks:
Lazy Blocks is available at no cost.
Toolset Blocks is a WordPress Gutenberg blocks plugin that empowers you to craft bespoke websites exactly to your liking, all without the need for any coding.
Utilising Toolset’s WordPress Block Editor, you can visually craft templates for your custom post types, showcase custom fields, construct searches, and accomplish much more.
The plugin provides a diverse selection of design blocks, encompassing content templates, rating elements, grids, social sharing tools, galleries, star ratings, sliders, countdown modules, and an array of invaluable features.
Advantages of Toolset Blocks:
- Compatible with any WordPress theme.
- Facilitates the creation of dynamic templates without coding.
- User-friendly drag-and-drop editor.
- Complete customisability.
- Effortlessly generate and showcase queries across your website.
- Enables the development of custom search functionalities for various content types.
Drawbacks of Toolset Blocks:
- It may entail a slight learning curve for some users.
Pricing for Toolset Blocks:
Toolset is a premium plugin, starting at €69(around $74.00) per year for a single site license.
Genesis Blocks presents an impressive array of Gutenberg editor blocks, augmented by a library of page sections and full-page layouts—all seamlessly integrated into your block editor.
Upon installation, Genesis Blocks unlocks access to 15 blocks and 4 pre-designed page layouts, meticulously tuned for optimal performance. Among the diverse range of blocks are section and layout elements, advanced columns, pricing modules, post grids, testimonials, inline notices, and more.
Advantages of Genesis Blocks:
- A straightforward installation and user-friendly interface.
- Unlocks 15 new blocks for content creation.
- Every block, section, and layout is easily customisable to match your vision.
- Ensures compatibility with all WordPress themes.
Drawbacks of Genesis Blocks:
- While the free version offers substantial value, the Pro version, which includes additional blocks, comes at a notable cost.
Pricing for Genesis Blocks:
Genesis Blocks is accessible for free, but for extra features and blocks, an upgrade to Genesis Pro is available at a price of $360 per year.
Stackable is a lightweight Gutenberg block plugin designed to facilitate the construction of dynamic websites. You can harness its custom blocks, pre-designed templates, global settings, and advanced customisation options without compromising website performance.
Stackable empowers you with more than 27 flexible, feature-rich custom blocks that require no coding and can be seamlessly integrated into any website. Among these blocks are containers, separators, post display elements, feature grids, icon lists, call-to-action modules, and various others.
Advantages of Stackable:
- Intuitive and user-friendly interface.
- An extensive collection of over 27 feature-rich custom blocks.
- Access to a whopping 355+ pre-made block designs, including premium offerings.
Drawbacks of Stackable:
- Stackable offers a comprehensive set of features, so if you seek a plugin solely dedicated to Gutenberg blocks, it might not be the ideal choice.
Pricing for Stackable:
Stackable provides a free version for users. For those desiring additional functionality, there is a premium version available, commencing at $49 per year for a single site.
10. Ultimate Blocks
Ultimate Blocks stands out as a widely embraced Gutenberg block plugin, simplifying website development and streamlining your workflow. Its arsenal comprises 18+ exceptional blocks, including review sections, table of contents, compelling call-to-action elements, image sliders, “click to tweet” modules, progress bars, and more, all designed to enrich your content creation experience.
A distinctive feature of Ultimate Blocks is the ability to toggle individual blocks on or off. This means you can deactivate any block that isn’t currently needed, ensuring a lightweight website. When the need arises, simply re-enable the desired feature.
Advantages of Ultimate Blocks:
- Robust and user-friendly.
- Allows comprehensive customisation.
- Lightweight, meticulously optimised for swift performance.
- A unique feature to enable or disable individual blocks.
- SEO-friendly to enhance search engine visibility.
Drawbacks of Ultimate Blocks:
- The plugin provides a limited selection of blocks.
Pricing for Ultimate Blocks:
Ultimate Blocks is available as a free download, extending its accessibility to users.